Sunday, March 6, 2011

Dr. Seuss - Read Across America

We had so much fun this past week celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday!  I like to celebrate with a week of theme days.  This year, though, I felt more rushed than usual.  Maybe it was because of report cards coming up, with only 2 hours to work on them.  Or maybe because I had my formal observation this week.  Or maybe because our school year ends later this year, so this came earlier than usual.  Maybe all three!    Here is the little we did manage to do for Seuss:

Monday-  Mix-it Up Monday!  Students wore silly socks to school!  We read Fox in Socks.

Tuesday-  Top-Hat Tuesday!  Students wore hats until morning recess.  We wrote about our hats in our planners, describing them.  (Those who didn't have a hat, described a hat they would like to have.)  We read The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins.  In the afternoon, each of us made a Cat in the Hat Top Hat out of construction paper.  Here is a picture of each of my sons wearing one (with me):

Wednesday-  Wacky Wednesday.  Students wore clothes backward, and we did our entire day backward!  That's right - we started with dismissal routines, and ended with morning message!  It was so much fun!

Thursday-  "Who Day"  Students came with "Who" hair!  I wish I could post pictures of them, because it was adorable!  Many Cindy-Lou Whos, and the boys had faux-hawks.  Very cute.  We read Horton Hears a Who, did a phonemic awareness activity based on it, and we were GOING to do a very fun writing project, but no time! (We had to get in one last math assessment.) I will have to share that next year!

Friday-  Green Read Day.  Students wore green and we watched "Green Eggs and Ham" the movie.  My plan had been to cook green eggs and ham, but this year I just didn't get the volunteers. :-(   We did a little Dr. Seuss birthday party at the end of the day, and had a read-in for the rest of the day.  We did a "Read and Lick" (students read while licking a lollipop), "Read and lie" (students could lie down and read - normally we have to sit up in our room),  and "Buddy Reading".  Fun, fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment